Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Ceramics 2 Mesopotamia (meza-Po-tania)




Mesopotamia, the "land between" the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, which would now be in the region of Syria, is the focus for the second project. . In approximately 6000 BC, pottery known as Halaf pottery was known for it’s smooth surface and often used a very limited palette of both red and black pigments. (distinctive blues were used as this period of art evolved)
Students will, again, follow links provided on the blog and research this period in time and look at the traits of this work including not only the smooth surfaces but the the use of animals as a theme for both utilitarian work as well as aesthetic creations. References of three different animals will be gathered and students will create three different pieces. The wheel will be an option for students to utilize in the creation of these pieces. Artwork may be produced in any form from sculpture to a bowl or plate.  Each piece must be 6x6 inches or larger.

Alternate assignment will be to investigate and create a foot tall free-standing Lamassu, which were known to be mythical guardians in animal form with human heads. Students will investigate the treasures of Ur which will provide many examples of animal subjects, color pallets and designs.



Please read assigned links above and leave a comment with initial thoughts for how you want to proceed with the project you have chosen. (comment will not automatically appear so please send only once)  Yes, the comment is required.

4 comments:

  1. For this project I think I'm going to do the Halaf pottery. I plan on hopefully using the wheel for one or two of them them carving out the design and try to go about doing one by hand then carving the symbols and animals into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to first start off with a more sculpture type of piece and then see how that goes. The face of a sort of goat with horns and the upper and lower body of a man. Then,hooves for both hands and feet. So, that is where I will start in my sketch and then work off of that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of combining several animals with the structure of a human for this project. I think I'll begin my first sketch as a man's face with a rhino's body and wings attached to the back. I also had the idea of the face of a tiger with the body of a man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For this assignment I am going to go with the Lamassu option. To start off I'm going to find a photo reference of the Lamassu and from there sketch what I see and incorporate that into my piece.

    ReplyDelete